Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Getting old SUCKS!!!


My Aunt Jo has been in the hospital now for about five days. She has been falling a lot and maybe over medicating which has caused some really serious confusion. Ashlee and I went to visit her last night and some of what she said made a little sense some of it made me giggle a little, but most of it was completely off the wall! I have been working in rehab center's and assisted living communities ever since I turned 18. I have always been able to take care of my residents to the best of my ability but without my emotions getting involved. They would come and they would go sometimes weeks later sometimes they would be there for years. Either way when it was time for them to go I understood that they were in pain or had no quality of life left, most of the time it was pretty peaceful. I'm not really sure if I have ever shed a tear for any of the people I have taken care of (well maybe Grace I loved her). I will tell you what it has been a whirlwind of emotions for me being on the other side, the family side of someones quality of life deteriorating. So many memories of when Ash and I were little and my mom and dad working so much! Aunt Jo was always consisted in our lives we knew that she would be there to pick us up from school, to sew any costume (better than anyone) we wanted, feed us some of the best meals I have ever had, to teach us how to write in cursive and tell time on a watch that wasn't digital! I'm sad that when we get old we cant go out with some dignity and grace! I'm sad that I cant do anything to help. All I want to do is turn back time and appreciate the little everyday things I would do with her just a little bit more! I love my Aunt Jo and I hope what she said today is right and that "she is going to beat this!"

Song of the evening- Wish You Were Here by Pink Floyd

No comments: